Welcome to STEM!

MDP_DEECD_Hawkesdale-2611[1]

What is STEM? “STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education. We focus on these areas together not only because the skills and knowledge in each discipline are essential for student success, but also because these fields are deeply intertwined in the real world and in how students learn most effectively. STEM is an interdisciplinary and applied approach that is coupled with hands-on, problem-based learning.” ~ California STEM Learning Network

This year I will be working as a STEM Specialist teacher, based at Hawkesdale P12 College. My role is to:

• design, develop, facilitate and lead professional learning programs in (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) including the provision of advisory support in a range of modes (face-to-face, online, phone)
  • develop sample teaching and learning programs in STEM for use and adaptation by schools
  • develop sample assessment tasks in STEM
  • support the development of STEM communities of practice.

I look forward to working with teachers locally and across the SW of Victoria to promote STEM learning in both primary and secondary schools. This blog will be a platform to share teaching and learning resources as well as an opportunity for interested teachers to communicate via posts and comments.