Introducing Robots

Learning Intention:

Year 5 and 6 Digital Technologies: Digital Systems

Examine the main components of common digital systems, and how such digital systems may connect together to form networks to transmit data (VCDTDS026)

Year 5 and 6 Digital Technologies: Creating Digital Solutions

Design, modify and follow simple algorithms represented diagrammatically and in English, involving sequences of steps, branching, and iteration (VCDTCD032)

Develop digital solutions as simple visual programs (VCDTCD033)

Year 7 and 8 Digital Technologies: Digital Systems

Investigate how data are transmitted and secured in wired, wireless and mobile networks (VCDTDS035)

Year 7 and 8 Digital Technologies: Creating Digital Solutions

Design algorithms represented diagrammatically and in English, and trace algorithms to predict output for a given input and to identify errors (VCDTCD042)

Develop and modify programs with user interfaces involving branching, iteration and functions using a general-purpose programming language (VCDTCD043)

Success Criteria: I can successfully write an algorithm to allow a robot to make a shape and to navigate through a maze. I can pair a BlueBot with an iPad, so that we can operate the robot remotely.  I can design a robot that performs a specific task, such as pollinating flowers or searching an area.

Today’s class has four activities for you to complete:

1. What are robots useful for? Think, Pair and Share. Go to this Robot Padlet and type your answers on to the wall.
  2. Complete the National Geographic Robot Challenge. Design a bee robot to pollinate flowers or a sea-going robot to clean up the Great Ocean Garbage Patch.
  3. Open the BlueBot app on the iPads and choose “Challenge” mode to navigate the BlueBot to the target and around obstacles.
  4. How do we control BlueBot robots? Find out what the seven buttons do and how you can navigate the robots through a maze. What instructions do these robots understand?

Year 5/6 students left comments below after spending an afternoon with the BlueBots.

Advice for Teachers:

• The free BlueBot app is only available for tablets (iPads in the Apple store and Windows tablets on Google Play) and can be used without pairing to the BlueBot.
  • Only tablets with the latest operating system allow the user to pair the devices with bluetooth and operate the BlueBot remotely.
  • Once the BlueBot and the tablet are paired successfully, you can choose “Explore” and “45 degree turns” to increase the functionality of the robots.
  • Getting started with BlueBot is an excellent resource for finding out all the functions that can be performed once the BlueBot is paired with a device.

1. 1. I found that it does not need a person to push the robot and you just need to press the buttons to make it move in a direction

2. It was hard to control

3. I would say you need to press the buttons to control them

4. Co-ordination, angles, distance

From Manny

2. I found that the Bluebot was very interesting. Sometimes the Bluebot is very hard to control. I think playing with the Bluebots is very cool. I think that the Bluebots have a bit of math in them, because when you control them you can make them turn 90 degree angles and follow instructions.
    by Harby

3. I found out that Bluebots move using a code. The hard thing was working out the maze. If I was you, I would have a practice, then I would have a test. Blue bots can teach you to add up things. They move about 15cm each time.

4. I found out that if you pressed the button on the Blue-bots it does it so it codes. The hard thing was trying to get the Bluebot to do the maze. I think playing with the Blue-bots are so fun to play with. The Blue-bots move about 16cm every move. Blue-bots can teach you how to add .

5. I like it because it was fun and you had to think. I loved the robot bee on National Geographic. My friend and I liked it and we played with them all afternoon. I could not play with it because my group were playing on it, so I only got a small go but I liked it when I got a go.

6. I found the Blue-bots interesting because they do what ever you instruct.

I had no trouble with the Blue-bots. I found the Blue-bots easy to control because you got to choose which direction it travelled in.

Press the buttons to instruct them.

Co-ordination,angles and distance.

7. I found the Bluebots interesting, because you got to choose what to do and build tracks.

I found the Bluebots easy to program, because you got to chose what they did.

I would say that the Bluebots move foward or backwards the same length of the Bluebot.

Angles, distance and coordination

8. 1. I found that it was fun and kind of boring at the same time.

2. I didn’t find anything difficult about the robots.

3. Always press the X button before pressing the directions.

4. Once you know the distance from one place to another you will be able to work out were to go on a map

from Bailey

9. 1. It was fun pressing buttons instead of commanding it like a dog.
    2. It was hard when you don’t know where it will stop.
    3. It is easy – all you do is press the command keys.
    4. Angles and distance.

10. I found the Blue-bots very interesting that they could move by code.I found it very hard to control and make it go the right way. The Blue-bots have some maths in it like moving it you might need to measure the maze or the distance of the Blue-bots going forward.

By Ella

11. 1. What did I find interesting? I got to play with a Blue Bot, rather than read or learn about them.
    2. It was difficult to work out the steps.
    3. What tips could you offer a new user about programing the Blue bots? I can tell them to do a test and then you can do an real tests.
    4. What maths concept could you learn by using blue bot? Blue bots can teach you about adding – they all ways move 15 cm.